Monday, February 5, 2018

Duck Skates

This adorable book from 2005 is the perfect read for a gray winter day. I picked it up at my public library when I was looking for books about snow. I went through 20 or so books that day, and this one and Snow Sisters! were my favorites of the day.

Author Lynne Berry follows a group of 5 little ducks who decide to go ice skating. We go along as they get dressed to go out in the snow, tromp down the hill to the pond, figure out how to skate, take a break to have a snowball fight, then head home. She deftly covers the excitement of preparing to head out for a day in the snow, the frenzy of playing in the snow, and the inevitable we-have-to-go-home-because-we-are-cold-wet-and-hungry.

The rhyming text makes it easy for little ones to fill in the second word in each pair, a fun technique I often used with my own children and still use with my students.

Example:
Mom: "The first two lead with a duck-skate dash. The last three chase - and the ducks all..."

Child: "crash!"

Children will enjoy wobbling, wiggling, toppling and giggling along with the ducks. There are opportunities for vocabulary development as well - mercy, tramp, peer, romp...

Hiroe Nakata's watercolor illustrations are absolutely darling - bright, colorful, and warm. I love the final page that shows the 5 little ducks in a contented heap on the rug in front of the fire.

Duck Skates is the first in a series of 4 books about these delightful ducks. I'd bet your local library has them. :)

Make a mug of hot cocoa and snuggle up with your little one to enjoy this fun story.




No comments:

Post a Comment