Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Mr. Goat's Valentine


I read this story to my class today while they were eating their mid-morning snack. Big mistake. Don't read this book to anyone who is eating ;)

Mr. Goat realizes it is Valentine's Day and scoots off to gather gifts for his first love. So far, so good. But Mr. Goat has different sensibilities than your average human and he purchases...well, never mind, I don't want to spoil the story...or your appetite.

As a mother, I love the ending. It will tug at any mother's heartstrings and we all hope our sons are as thoughtful as Mr. Goat when they are grown and busy with all that life brings their way.

Eve Bunting, who will be 90 this year, often writes about weighty topics - riots, homelessness, the Holocaust, changing families, Japanese exclusion, even serial murder. Given her expert touch with these topics, one might not expect her to have such a well-developed funny bone, but she does, and even though my students were groaning at Mr. Goat's choices, they laughed and enjoyed every bit of the story.

One of my personal favorites is her book How Many Days to America? A Thanksgiving Story. Our team reads it to our 4th graders at Thanksgiving time each year. I have a hard time keeping my tears at bay.

Illustrator Kevin Zimmer has matched Bunting's tone with his clear, bright, completely engaging illustrations. He creates a lovable Mr. Goat in a bright, friendly world.

Mr. Goat's Valentine is a great addition to the Valentine's Day selection of books available for children. Your local library is sure to have a copy.

* I love watching interviews with our beloved children's authors - here is one with Eve Bunting - her Irish brogue is delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment