Thursday, March 1, 2018

Come With Me


Another day, another lock-down. At least that's how it's starting to feel. Yesterday, we had a lock-down drill, something we do periodically during the school year. My class was in the gym for PE and I was sorely tempted to just keep working in my room, but I was obedient and followed all of the protocols. 

Thank goodness, because about 5 minutes after the all clear was given, we had a real lock-down. I sat in the corner of my room, in the dark, behind a rocking chair, texting my adult children to let them know that we were locked down and that I love them. (Sorry, folks, but if I'm going to die today, my last words are going to be words of love to my children.) Then I started to think about my students down in the gym - were they frightened, was anyone crying, what adults were with them, would they really be safe if there was an intruder? I never thought I would wish to be with 24 nine year-olds in the middle of a lock-down, but that's exactly how I felt.

Half an hour later, the all clear was called and I hurried to the gym to help the PE teacher get them to the bus. They were mostly in good spirits and there were lots of hugs. 

Today, we spent our Morning Meeting talking about their thoughts and feelings about the lock-down. Then we read this terrific book by Holly McGhee. The illustrations made it so readable. Often a tough subject is accompanied by photos or very realistic illustrations, but Pascal Limaitre creates an unintimidating canvas for children who are reading about a sensitive topic.


A young girl is troubled by the things she sees and hears happening in the world around her and asks her parents what she can do to make the world a better place. Each parent takes a turn with her by replying, "Come with me," and taking her to do an everyday activity, being friendly and kind to everyone along the way. I prefaced the reading by telling my students that I would cry as I read (they are used to this), and I did.

As the little girl goes about her daily activities with her parents McGhee uses these indescribably comforting and inspiring phrases:

"...that day they won a tiny battle over fear for themselves and for the people of the world," 

"..because one person doesn't represent a family or a race or the people of a land,"

and possibly my favorite, "They let her go, and sent a message to the world. They would not live in fear."

We talked about the fact that her parents weren't taking her to do unusual things, just the same old things they do day after day so that she would see that she could go on.

After we finished the reading, I had each of them write down one thing they can do to make the world a better place and put it on our Class Chat chart.


It made my heart happy to see them stopping by throughout the day to read the notes. A few of them even added another.


We were feeling pretty good about our morning. And then, we had another lock-down at lunch.

To be continued...

1 comment: