Saturday, April 14, 2018

The Wolf's Chicken Stew


I headed down Memory Lane with this one. During my 1st year of teaching (1996-97, yikes!) our 1st grade team used this charming picture book as one of our 100th Day of School reads. It was a stretch, but we made it work ;)

This is an adorable story of a hungry wolf who is determined to fatten up a chicken before popping her into his stew pot. So, over the course of 3 nights, he makes and delivers 100 pancakes, 100 doughnuts, and a 100 pound cake to her doorstep (see how we made it work?)

In a surprising twist, the hen kills him with kindness and I'll let you find out how.

This is the first book written and illustrated by Keiko Kasza. She has since published 21 more and been honored with more than a dozen literary awards.

Her bright, friendly pictures make the wolf in seem like a loveable neighbor even as he calls out, "Eat well, my pretty chicken. Get nice and fat for my stew!"

No comments:

Post a Comment