Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Friends of the Library

The library is my go-to for books. If you look at my classroom library, you can see that I have spent a great deal of money over the years to curate my collection. However, I still head to the library every chance I get.

I hope your hometown library is affiliated with a Friends of the Library organization because they can contribute so much to the growth and development of a library!

One of my favorite things they do to help their local library is book sales. Most libraries have an area where a small collection (depending on the space the library gives them) of books, audio books, magazines, dvds, etc... are on sale all of the time, but most libraries will have a monthly book sale that is quite large and my current library, the Bainbridge Island branch of the Kitsap Regional Library, holds 2 or three per month. Most of them are held during my work day, but yesterday I wasn't working and I wasn't vacationing, so I went and boy, am I glad!

I spent $17 (included $5 gift certificate that I've been waiting to spend, so only $12 came out of my pocket!) and got this load of books:



I picked up a Jodi Picoult hardcover for $1 for me, and a couple of Tin Tin books in French for my son, who can pass for a native of France and has lived there on two separate occasions. The rest are for my classroom.

Hardcovers:
  • Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke
  • Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say
  • Zoe's Jungle by Bethanie Deeney Murguia
  • Our Children Can Soar by Michelle Cook
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer by Kate Klimo
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure by Georgia Byng
Paperbacks:
7 Rainbow Magic books, all by Daisy Meadows
  • Emily the Emerald Fairy
  • Pearl the Cloud Fairy
  • Brooke the Photographer Fairy
  • Katie the Kitten Fairy
  • Hope the Happiness Fairy
  • Crystal the Snow Fairy
  • Polly the Party Fun Fairy
My general rule for purchasing used books is to stick with hardcovers, but I will buy paperbacks to fill out a series or if a book/series is popular in my class and duplicate copies would be beneficial.


No comments:

Post a Comment