Thursday, November 21, 2019

Thanksgiving Picture Books

If this isn't your first visit to my blog, you know I love my holiday picture books. There are far fewer books about Thanksgiving than the other fall and winter holidays, but I have found a few that my students and I love to read year after year. 

My colleague, Anna, introduced this one to me a few years ago, and I've happily added it to my collection. 

Turk and Runt live on Wishbone Farm with their parents. The farm animals look forward to fall when visitors flock to the farm to get apples, pumpkins, and turkeys. Runt appears to be the only turkey who is aware of the reasons those visitors are selecting turkeys and, as the author reminds us several times, "no one ever listened to Runt."

Their parents are so proud of Turk for being "the biggest, strongest, most graceful bird" on the farm that they insist he show off his dance and football moves to the visitors. Runt, however, ruins each chance Turk gets to be chosen by a visitor and no one understands why he would do that to his wonderful, amazing brother.

But the reasons become clear when Runt becomes the object of a little old lady's attention, and the family finally believes Runt and bands together to save him from a Thanksgiving table fate.

My students love my nerdy Runt voice, and giggle at all of his asides. You will too - add this to your holiday picture book collection.

Author Lisa Wheeler's website
Interview with Lisa Wheeler



Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my many favorite authors. She is best-known for her YA fiction that tackles tough topics like sexual violence and eating disorders in an open, honest manner using a touch of humor and the sensitivity she would like each of us to extend to those struggling with these issues.

She has also written a popular book series for younger readers - Vet Volunteers, as well as some wonderful historical picture and chapter books like the one I read to my class today.

Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving informs readers about the 38 year battle of Sarah Hale to get Thanksgiving declared a national holiday. The illustrations by Matt Faulkner are detailed and had my students begging for me to wait "just one more second" to turn the page.

There is much in this book to generate great discussions. My students had questions about the Civil War, the power of the pen, slavery, and we repeated over and over a favorite quote: "Never underestimate dainty little ladies," which has been added to our "Wit & Wisdom From Our Favorite Authors" wall.

Sarah Hale is a fascinating woman and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about her many accomplishments and campaigns.

I had the privilege of hearing Laurie Halse Anderson speak at the BYU Symposium on Books for Young Readers back in 2010. She is an engaging and passionate speaker, talented writer (listen to her talk about her bumpy start with reading and writing in the Reading Rockets interview below) and a powerful advocate for intellectual freedom and the victims of sexual assault.

Author Laurie Halse Anderson's website
Interview with Laurie Halse Anderson by Reading Rockets
Illustrator Matt Faulkner's website


This book is new to my collection this year. It's funny, silly, and clever. Thanksgiving day is fast approaching, and the people of Squawk Valley don't have a main course. So they cook up a plot to entice a turkey to enter their midst as a model for the arts and crafts fair.

Pete applies for the job and poses for the artists creating turkeys from soap, rope, oatmeal, potatoes, and anything else they can get their hands on. They plan to invite Pete to judge their entries and then pop him in the oven. But Pete is too smart for them and disappears after he announces the winners. He is able to camouflage himself among all of the entries and escape with his modeling fee - the oatmeal turkey.

Delightful, rhyming text and bright, bold illustrations make this picture book an engaging read for all ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment