Saturday, January 18, 2020

Running Wild: Awesome Animals in Motion



Thanks to @annick_press and Galadriel Watson for sharing and advance copy of Running Wild: Awesome Animals in Motion with @kidlitexchange - due to be released 4/14/2020.

I’ve always been a fiction lover, so it took me by surprise when my children truly enjoyed nonfiction. When I became a teacher, weekly library visits revealed that my kids weren’t the only ones - MANY of my students check out nonfiction books every single week. Now, as a grandma, I see the same love of informational lit in my grandchildren. I’m still a fiction girl, but it’s easy to see that nonfiction is the perfect match for the boundless curiosity of children.

Running Wild, illustrated by Samantha Dixon, is aimed at older children, and teaches them about all of the ways animals move.

Walking, running, hopping, crawling, climbing, swimming, jumping, gliding, flapping, hovering, rowing, walking on water, staying buoyant, undulating, using hydrofoils, and shooting with jet propulsion - all of these are covered, using common animals such as penguins, fleas, and chimpanzees as examples.

The text is broken into digestible pieces with clear headings and subheadings that allow readers to easily find particular information.

The author finishes up by offering ways this newfound knowledge can be applied in the real world.

This book is a great next step for kids who love learning about animals and want to go beyond the basics of obvious physical characteristics, habitat, diet, etc...

Galadriel Watson website
Samantha Dixon website

No comments:

Post a Comment