Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Gift Ideas

Finding the right gift for a child can be challenging.  When I became an auntie, I realized that my dear nieces and nephews didn't need yet another person giving them toys that they would use for a month or so and then break or forget about.  So, I became the-aunt-who-gives-books. 

Before you roll your eyes and/or groan, it has been very successful, even more so now that my own children are grown and gone.  If you do your homework, you can't go wrong with a book.  My most recent batch of nieces and nephews receive a book each month (thank you, Amazon Prime!) from what I call "Aunt Carrie's Book of the Month Club."

I created a private wish list on Amazon and I loaded all my go-to books onto the list.  Whenever I come across a book that sounds interesting, I add it to the list and then try to find it at the library to preview it before I buy it for the wee ones.

My go-to books are books I truly believe every child should read and will enjoy.  Here are some of my favorites:

Chapter Books for Elementary Students
The Indian in the Cupboard
The Castle in the Attic
The Great Brain
By the Great Horn Spoon
Stone Fox
Dear Mr. Henshaw
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Sarah, Plain and Tall
The Forgotten Door
The Sign of the Beaver
Because of Winn-Dixie
Ramona the Pest
Little House in the Big Woods


Picture Books
Brown Bear, Brown Bear
Strega Nona
Wolf!
Fancy Nancy
Bubba, The Cowboy Prince
Miss Nelson is Missing
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
The Wolf's Chicken Stew
Fanny's Dream
Miss Smith's Incredible Story Book
Wild About Books
Stephanie's Ponytail
The Paper Bag Princess
There's a Nightmare in my Closet
The Very Hungry Caterpillar


New favorites:  Memoirs of a Goldfish, The View at the Zoo, Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site and Interrupting Chicken

As I started this list, I realized this is just the tip of the iceberg.  I'm going to have to do another post (or two) and share some book ideas for older kiddos.


No comments:

Post a Comment