Friday, August 3, 2018

How I Spent My Summer Vacation


Just hearing the word "summer" brings back a rush of childhood memories of camping trips, swimming, playing in the cul-de-sac for hours with my neighborhood friends, picnics at the beach, and trips to the library to check out a giant stack of books that were supposed to last me two weeks and never lasted more than a week.

It's hard to see the end of those relaxing days of late bedtimes and doing waht you want all day long. So with back-to-school days looming ahead, I thought I'd share How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague to get everyone in the mood for school. (Is that possible in August?)

Wallace Bleff (Teague chooses great names for his characters) is set to read his obligatory What-I-Did-Over-Summer-Vacation essay to his class. The entire story is written in rhyme, and begins with him explaining that because of his overactive imagination, his parents sent him to spend the summer on the plains with his Aunt Fern.

He goes on to weave a tale of being captured by cowboys, learning the tricks of their trade, earning his nickname "Kid Bleff." and going on their round-up.

Aunt Fern invites them all to come over for a barbecue after the round-up and they have a great time, until...the herd stampedes. Wallace naturally saves the day with his amazing matador skills and is proclaimed the hero of the round-up.

 Being a teacher, one of my favorite parts is the teacher's reaction.


Before you put away the pool towels and beach toys, head to your library and check out this book to ease into those back-to-school preparations. Your family could even make a list of everything you've done over the summer to refresh the kiddos' memories before they are asked to write it all down on the first day of school.

Get it on Amazon, or at your local library.

Reading Rockets interview with Mark Teague
JRank bio on Mark Teague
NCCIL bio on Mark Teague

No comments:

Post a Comment