Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Your First Day of Circus School




I don’t know about you, but every once in a while I like to change up my special occasion books, to keep it fresh for ME! 

Thanks to all the teachers, libraries, and bookstores posting recommendations, I’ve added a few new picture books to my collection, and I’m really excited to read them to my students next week!

Your First Day of Circus School (2019) by @taralaser Tara Lazar, takes us through a little boy’s first day of Circus School. He’s got a big brother attending the same school who guides him through the day.

The text sounds as though the author is describing a perfectly normal school day, but the pictures are most definitely about a circus. Children, animals, and circus performers fill the pages, matter-of-factly juggling, walking on stilts, swinging on the trapeze, and being shot out of a cannon.

The illustrations, by @mcrowton Melissa Crowton, are 6-color and filled with simple, bold shapes, and interesting detail that you’ll want to let children have plenty of time to digest. I already know my 3rd & 4th graders will lose it when they see the steaming pile of animal 💩.

All in all, a fun new BTS book for your class or your family. Enjoy!

Website for author Tara Lazar
Interview with Tara Lazar

No comments:

Post a Comment