Thursday, April 26, 2018

Madeline Finn and the Library Dog


One of my struggling readers walked up to me and, looking at me with his big blue eyes, earnestly requested, "Would you read this to us today? I just love this book."

Can't say no to that and now I love it too!

Madeline Finn is struggling to learn to read. She is discouraged, grumpy, and is now pronouncing to anyone who will listen that she doesn't like to read.

Her parents and teacher keep encouraging her, but as much as she wants one of those coveted gold stars from her teacher, things still aren't clicking. Then (insert appropriate superhero sound here) Super Librarian to the rescue! She introduces Madeline to Bonnie, a library dog who visits the library each week to listen to children read.

I'm sure you can guess how this heartwarming story ends, but every moment of it is enjoyable.

Lisa Papp looks right into the heart of a frustrated emerging reader and let us follow her as she becomes a confident, I-Can reader. The illustration are beautiful - muted, comforting colors that make you feel right at home.

On her webpage, Papp explains how this book came to be: "This story comes straight from the heart. I discovered the Read-to-Dogs program at my local library and immediately fell in love. Seeing these incredible dogs working with the children, and watching the magic unfold, was a blessing. I knew I wanted to share this story. Many of the dogs featured in the book are former shelter dogs now living a new life helping children. I have come to know and love these dogs, as well as they’re dedicated handlers, and I’m honored to share their story."

Madeline Finn and the Library Dog has won quite a few awards, but the two that tell me it's time to visit the library and get a copy are the Parents' Choice and the Children's Choice awards.



No comments:

Post a Comment